Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glorat House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glorat House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 45197

Site Number NS67NW 9

NGR NS 64142 77810

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45197

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Campsie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67NW 9 64142 77810

(NS 6414 7782) Glorat House (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1958)

The house of Glorat was largely rebuilt in 1869, the tower being added in 1879, but some older structure, the date of which is not certain, is incorporated in the W gable, and in the lower part of the wall on the N side. The quoins of the NW corner, and the heavy, backset margins of three windows in this part of the building, certainly antedate any Victorian reconstruction. Reset at lintel level beside the easternmost of the two windows in the N side there is likewise to be seen a stone bearing the initials M S and the date 1625, probably re-cut. The initials are those of Mungo Stirling, at that time heir to his father, Sir John Stirling, 4th of Glorat, whom he succeeded in 1642.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953.

The remains of the foundations of the tower extant in 1510 could be traced to the NW of the present mansion house in 1892.

This tower was replaced by a more commodious residence about 1625; this was rebuilt in 1869, the tower being added in 1879.

J Cameron 1892.

No traces of old foundations were found to the NW of the house. The owner (Miss E Stirling, owner, Glorat House) stated that the NW wing of the present house is probably on or very near the site of the original tower; there seems to be no evidence for the original tower being at a distance from the later house. This wing contains some old masonry, possibly remains of the 1625 mansion.

Visited by OS (J L D) 22 March 1957.

No change to the previous reports.

RCAHMS 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions