Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Milton Of Campsie, Kincaid House Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Milton Of Campsie, Kincaid House Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kincaid House

Canmore ID 45178

Site Number NS67NW 13

NGR NS 64990 76023

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45178

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Campsie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67NW 13 64990 76023

(NS 6498 7602) The eastern block of Kincaid House, which is now a hotel, was built about 1812. The older parts of the house adjoin the N part of the W side of the 1812 block. They comprise, on the S, the remains of the original house, believed to date from about 1690 (Cameron 1892), and to the N of this, an addition of the mid-18th century. The original house seems to have been an oblong structure, of two storeys and an attic, measuring about 33ft by 10ft 9ins. Its masonry has been cemented over, but the crow-stepped W gable still survives. Kincaid House was the residence of the family of Kincaid of that Ilk, who formerly occupied an older house on the same site.

J Cameron 1892; RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953.

No external indications of an ancient structure were seen, and no further information was obtained. It is now known as Kincaid House Hotel.

Visited by OS (J L D) 16 February 1954.

No change to the previous reports.

RCAHMS 1982, visited 1977.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: David Hamilton 1812 (additions) (now hotel)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions