Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Robroyston House

House (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Robroyston House

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 45006

Site Number NS66NW 2

NGR NS 6344 6928

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45006

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cadder (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66NW 2 6344 6928

(NS 6344 6928) Robroyston House (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1967).

This, the mansion house of the Robroyston estate, is evidently old, though its datestone is now indecipherable. However, a sundial near the front door is dated 1623. The W end of the house was extended about 1849. In the old part, the walls are from 4' - 5' thick.

Name Book 1857.

No traces of Robroyston House now exist, in a pasture field. No further information was found during field investigation.

Visited by OS (J L D), 11 February 1954.

NS 6315 6495 to NS 6875 6960 In February and March 2001, an archaeological desk-based study was undertaken on the site of a proposed housing development just N of Robroyston - Robroyston being associated with the site of the capture of William Wallace. The barn where this capture is traditionally held to have taken place was demolished in the 19th century.

NS 6344 6928 Robroyston House. The mansion house of the Robroyston Estate. The house no longer stands and may originally date from the 17th century or before.

Sponsor: David R Murray & Associates.

C Dalglish 2001.

Architecture Notes

Glasgow, Robroyston House.

Depicted on 2nd edition OS map (Lanarkshire, 1912, sheet I.16)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Mitchell Library, Glasgow. Glasgow in Former Times - drawing 1893

Location of sundial uncertain at time of upgrade.

Somerville noted in 1985 that the sundial originally from Robroyston House had been in the Kelvingrove Museum, but was currently in store in the Transport Museum, Albert Drive (MS5741/7/20). However, the sundial photographed and described by Somerville (1985), and described by Stevenson (1934) bears the date 1679 and not 1623 as noted in the OS name book. (A Cassells, 10 December 2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions