Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Kilbride, Mains Castle

Motte (Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name East Kilbride, Mains Castle

Classification Motte (Medieval)(Possible), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 44900

Site Number NS65NW 15

NGR NS 62788 56041

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44900

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish East Kilbride (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District East Kilbride
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS65NW 15 62788 56041

See also NS65NW 30.

(NS 6278 5603) Mains Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Family seat of the Comyns, and later of the the family of Lindsay. The Scottish Coat of Arms which was originally placed over the arch gate was removed to Torrance House about 1750.

P J Dollan et al 1948

Mains Castle is a well-built tower, dating probably from the late 15th or early 16th century. Of ashlar masonry, it is oblong on plan, some 38' E-W by 27'. There are three main storeys beneath the former parapet, with an attic storey, now roofless, above. According to old records there were formerly extensive buildings surrounding this original tower. It is now, however, quite free-standing on its mound. It was habitable till about 1723, and was restored shortly before it was visited by MacGibbon and Ross (1887-92).

Ure (1793) refers to the deep ditch surrounding the castle as being visible, and mentions that there was a drawbridge on the E (See also NS65NW 29 and NS65NW 30 ).

D Ure 1793; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70.

Mains Castle, as described, and standing on an apparently artificial mound, is roofless but well-preserved.Vandalism has had some effect on Mains Castle. Most of the openings were bricked up around 1970, but the entrance blockage has been broken through. The site of the drawbridge and arched gate referred to by Ure was identified to the NE of the tower.

T C Welsh nd.; 1973.

The roof was removed between World War I and II.

T E Niven 1965

A watching brief was kept during digging operations around Mains Castle in 1976. Several sherds of late green-glazed pottery were found.

D Stewart 1977.

Mains Castle is now roofed and inhabited.

OS revision 17 July 1983.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

NS65NW 30 Mains Castle, Earthwork

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions