Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Tower Of Garden

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Tower Of Garden

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 44652

Site Number NS59SE 4

NGR NS 5939 9485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44652

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Kippen
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS59SE 4 5939 9485.

(NS 5939 9486) Tower of Garden (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Stirlingshire, 2nd ed., (1923)

Tower of Garden (Site). No definite remains of either building or earthwork are now to be seen on the site of the old tower of Garden, a low, rectangular, wooded mound which stands some 550 yds NW of the mansion (RCAHMS, No. 338). A record of 1724 alludes to the "ruinous Tower of Gardenn", and in 1878 ruins were within a rampart and ditch which were then "pretty entire". bIn 1796 these earthworks were described as having suffered less from "the injuries of time" than certain others in the neighbourhood. It is believed locally that the tower was demolished in 1749, when the mansion was first built; if so, enough must presumably have been left to account for the record of 1878.

RCAHMS 1963.

There is no trace of any feature in the site which is as described by the Commission. The mound itself is about 2m high by about 36, by 12m. The ground to the SE is marshy. The name has been verified by local enquiry.

Visited by OS (R D) 22 March 1965.

NS 593 948 Nothing now remains of what, in 1724, was described as 'the ruinous Tower of Gardenn'. A rampart and ditch still survived about 1860.

RCAHMS 1979, visited August 1978

OSA 1796; W Wilson 1884; W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1963

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions