Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Malling

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Malling

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Milling, The Peace Stone; Gartrenich

Canmore ID 44622

Site Number NS59NE 6

NGR NS 5641 9954

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44622

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NS59NE 6 5641 9954.

The 'Peace Stone' - a cup-and-ring marked boulder - lies about half-a mile south from the farm-house of Milling (? Malling)at the boundary of the arable land. It is roughly circular on the surface, measuring about 4ft in diameter. The surface is entirely covered with cup-and-ring marks - 22 cups in all - varying in size from 1-2 ins in diameter, and are all very symmetrically formed. Nearby in the centre is a fine one surrounded by four circular grooves. Others have incomplete triple and quadruple circles with radial ducts dividing them. There are other curious curves that sometimes interlace, and near the lower side of the stone are 5 or 6 cups with straight channels running out from them over the edge. The markings are much weather-worn.

A F Hutchison 1899.

NS 5641 9954. The 'Peace Stone' is as described above.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 14 March 1965.

No change.

Visited by OS (W D J) 15 October 1968.

NS 564 995. A boulder bearing cup-marks, cup-and-ring marks, and grooves.

A F Hutchison 1899; RCAHMS 1979.

NS 5641 9954. This cup-and-ring marked stone, first recorded in 1899, appears to have been moved slightly from its original position, probably during agricultural improvements in recent decades. The OS marks it as standing on a low and locally prominent rise which gave views over both the Lake of Menteith to the NE and the small Loch Macanrie to the SW. It now lies a few metres away at the field edge, in a strip of bracken-covered land between the old field wall and a modern fence. It lies next to a large boulder and several smaller stones probably cleared from the adjacent field. The 22 markings are still mostly visible though not in the detail recorded in 1899.

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

I Armit 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions