Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gartness Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Gartness Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 44579

Site Number NS58NW 1

NGR NS 5025 8652

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44579

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Drymen
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS58NW 1 5025 8652.

(NS 5025 8651) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1958)

Nothing now remains of Gartness Castle, once the house of John Napier, the inventor of logarithms. It stood on the right bank of the Endrick Water, 1/4 mile SSE of Gartness Bridge. A re-used window lintel in the mill at Gartness, and a stone dated 1574, in the S gable of an adjoining store-house (NS 5019 8665) probably came from the castle. Other stones, at Park of Drumquhassle (NS 482 869) (see NS48NE 12) are also said (Name Book 1860) to have come from the castle.

RCAHMS 1963; Name Book 1860.

A low rectangular mound exists here. It measures 23.0m N-S by 8.0m and is 0.7m high on the N and S, and 0.2m on the W. There is the suggestion of a ditch on the N and S sides of the mound. It is possible that part of the mound to the NE has been destroyed by the river.

No remains of walls of the castle exist in the adjacent field, but three small fragments can be seen in the bank of the river, but may only be an old revetment wall to counteract erosion. A low, almost level square area, 0.2m maximum height, lies immediately to the SW and may represent the site of a courtyard, but the traces are indefinite.

The site is overlooked by high ground to the NW.

The date-stone '1574' is in the wall of an out-building of Gartness Mill, at NS 5019 8665; it appears remarkably well-preserved to have been an original stone.

A lintel stone bearing the date '1684' and the initials 'RG' and 'IS', faintly inscribed on it, lies in the garden of the Mill.

Visited by OS (J L D) 5 April 1957.

There is no longer any trace of the mound described by previous OS field suveyor. No further information.

Visited by OS (B S) 4 December 1973.

NS 502 865 There are now no visible remains of Gartness Castle. In the wall of an outbuilding at Gartness Mill is a stone bearing the date 1574 which probably came from the castle.

RCAHMS 1979, visited August 1978

NSA 1845; RCAHMS 1963

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions