Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Carmunnock Road, Old Cathcart Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Aisle (18th Century), Burial Aisle(S) (19th Century), Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (19th Century), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Commemorative Monument(S) (Period Unassigned), Watch House (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Carmunnock Road, Old Cathcart Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Aisle (18th Century), Burial Aisle(S) (19th Century), Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (19th Century), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Commemorative Monument(S) (Period Unassigned), Watch House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 118-120 Carmonnock Road; Cathcart Tower; Kilmailing Road; St Fillan's Primary School; Session House

Canmore ID 44320

Site Number NS56SE 57

NGR NS 58726 60618

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44320

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 57 58726 60618

(NS 5872 6061) Cathcart parish church was dedicated to St Oswald, probably of 6th century date (OPS 1851; Scott et al 1915-61). The old parish church, built in 1707, was taken down in 1831, when a new church was built (at NS 5887 6060).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; H Scott et al 1915-61.

NS 587 606 An evaluation was undertaken in June 2005, comprising two 2 x 4m trial trenches, within the present school

grounds immediately to the S of the churchyard of St Oswald's Church (NS56SE 57). The evaluation aimed to assess the possibility for the survival of human remains or settlement connected to St Oswald's Church, purported to have been founded in AD 642. Both trenches contained a simple soil profile of topsoil derived from parent subsoil, and make-up deposits comprising modern building debris and rubble. No significant archaeological finds or features were identified.

Report lodged with WoSAS SMR and NMRS.

Sponsor: Glasgow City Council Development and Regeneration Services.

D Atkinson 2005

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 57 58726 60618

Glasgow, 118-120 CArmunnock Road, Old Cathcart Parish Church, Churchyard.

Demolished except for tower.

Architect: James Dempster, 1830-1831.

Graveyard.

Architect: A. Thomson.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Sources: Strathclyde Regional Archives: Pollok Maxwell Collection.

CATHCART CHURCH, N.D.

Plan of sittings in CAthcart PArish Church. Scale: 4':1".

Addressed to John Gordon of Aikenhead by Peter Macquisten. N.d.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions