Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Pollokshields, 100 St Andrew's Drive, Hagg's Castle

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Glasgow, Pollokshields, 100 St Andrew's Drive, Hagg's Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Haggs Castle; Pollok Estate; Terregles Avenue

Canmore ID 44303

Site Number NS56SE 41

NGR NS 56306 62734

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44303

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Haggs Castle, St Andrew's Drive, 1585

Rare genuine L-plan rubble Renaissance country seat of the Maxwells, later of Pollok, until 1595; the plan typical of houses built during James VI's minority. Abandoned since 1753, restored, c.1859, John Baird II, for Pollok estate factor's house. Distinctive cable mouldings, crowsteps, slate roofs, original door, elaborate ornament above. Enlarged circular stairturret and entrance, c.1890, low Baronial wings, c.1900. Divided into flats, 1940s; converted to Museum, 1972; returned to residential use, 1990s.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 41.00 56306 62734

(NS 5631 6273) Haggs Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1967)

Haggs Castle, built 1585 (date indicated on panel above entrance) was restored a few years before 1889. It is tall and L-shaped, with a semi-circular stair-turret projecting in the centre of the W wall. The walls are of rubble, and provided with a number of unusual squared gunloops as well as small circular shot-holes. (The alterations made during restoration may be seen by comparing the plan and illustration of about 1845 with the appearance in 1965.)

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70.

The castle is still occupied.

Visited by OS (J L D) 1 April 1954.

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 41.00 56306 62734

NS56SE 41.01 56316 62738 North Wing (Museum)

NS56SE 41.02 56292 62720 Outbuilding

NS56SE 41.03 56289 62711 Outbuilding

NMRS REFERENCE:

Glasgow, 100 St. Andrew's Drive, Hagg's Castle.

Built: 1585.

Architect: John Baird (Second) - restoration 1860.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Mitchell Library, Glasgow: 'Wm Graham I' p.7 & p.24. - 1 photograph.

J. Maclehose: 'Country Houses'. - 1 photograph.

'Glasgow in Former Times, Vol.II. - 2 lithographs.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions