Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 298-306 Clyde Street, Custom House

Custom House (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 298-306 Clyde Street, Custom House

Classification Custom House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Customs House; Procurator Fiscal's Office

Canmore ID 44269

Site Number NS56SE 133

NGR NS 58847 64882

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 133 58847 64882


Architect: John Dobson 1817 (presumably never built)

John Taylor of Taylor & Cresy 1840

See also PSA photographs for underground tunnel, Procurator Fiscal's Office, Dixon Street: G/6211/1 - 15

Site Management (27 September 2007)

Two storey, Greek revival former customs office. 9 bays, 5-bay central section breaking forward. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor (acting as plinth). Central pedimented, pilastered entrance. All windows sash and case with 6 or 9-pane glazing per sash, symmetrically arranged with cills at ground floor and both floors in outer bays. 1st floor Greek Doric semi-engaged columns tetrastyle in antis; continuous eaves entablature with triglyph frieze, plain cornice; blocking course, raised to corniced parapet in outer bays of central section and in centre to form podium for sculpted coat of arms. Single bay later additions to E and W: elliptically headed pends with Venetian windows above. (Historic Scotland)

John Taylor was an Irish-born Customs Official who was also responsible for the Customs House at Dundee a few years later. (Ed. EM Doak & A McLaren Young)


Modification (1873)

Internal alterations carried out by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson.

Photographic Survey (18 January 2018)

The former Customs House was recorded prior to alteration and conversion (2018).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions