Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, Kelvinside, 30 Queen Margaret Drive, Broadcasting House

Broadcasting Studio(S) (20th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Kelvinside, 30 Queen Margaret Drive, Broadcasting House

Classification Broadcasting Studio(S) (20th Century), Office(S) (Period Unassigned), Villa (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) North Kelvin; Hamilton Drive; Bbc Scotland; British Broadcasting Corporation; Queen Margaret College; North Park House

Canmore ID 44064

Site Number NS56NE 151

NGR NS 57031 67422

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44064

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 151 57031 67422

Broadcasting House [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1972.

Broadcasting House [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, November 2009.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, 20 Queen Margaret Drive.

BBC Broadcasting House was initially built as North Park House, which was altered and later became Queen Margaret College. The Medical Building was added in 1895. After partial demolition and rebuilding it then became the BBC Broadcasting House.

ARCHITECT: begun by J. T. Rochead 1869, completed by John Honeyman - part which was North Park House.

House later became Queen Margaret College - John Keppie & Charles Rennie Mackintosh added Medical Building 1895.

Additions - James Millar 1936-38

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (14 December 2010)

SW part J T Rochead, 1869-71, Renaissance villa converted to educational use; additions by James Miller 1936 and later. NE part John Keppie with C R Mackintosh (Honeyman and Keppie) 1895. Former medical building of Queen Margaret College, 1895. SW PART: 2 storeys, 3 x 5 bays. Polished ashlar, rusticated angles and flanking entrance strips. Sash and case windows, 4-pane glazing. (Historic Scotland)

Originally part of the site was occupied by North Park House, built for merchants John and Matthew Bell (Glasgow Pottery at Port Dundas). This Renaissance palazzo was begun by Rochead and completed by John Honeyman. (Williamson, Riches and Higgs)

In 1884 the building was acquired for Queen Margaret College, the first college for women in Scotland, and in 1895, the College began building Britain's first women's medical school on the site, designed by architects Honeyman and Keppie, and an associate, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The college closed in 1935 and principal architect James Miller began adapting the Glasgow site for BBC Scotland in 1936, allowing for the site’s buildings to be used in the production, administration and broadcasting of BBC Scotland's radio and television.(RCAHMS)

Activities

Photographic Survey (12 March 2007)

RCAHMS undertook a detailed photographic survey of Broadcasting House in March 2007 following notification that the BBC were to be relocating to new premises at Glasgow's Pacific Quay on the banks of the Clyde. The buildings by Rochead Honeyman & Keppie (and possibly Mackintosh) as well as the later additions, including all the main studios and offices for both radio and television, were surveyed in detail.

Information from RCAHMS (NG)

Photographic Survey (11 February 2008)

RCAHMS returned to Broadcasting House in February 2008 following the detailed survey that took place in the previous year. This was chiefly to photograph the concert hall which had been threatened with demolition.

Information from RCAHMS (NG)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions