Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 1055 Great Western Road, Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Hospital (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 1055 Great Western Road, Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Classification Hospital (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gartnavel Royal Mental Hospital; Gartnavel General Hospital; Parliamentary Road; Royal Lunatic Asylum

Canmore ID 44052

Site Number NS56NE 140

NGR NS 55030 68034

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44052

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

[25] Gartnavel Royal Hospital, 1055 Great Western Road, 1841, Charles Wilson

Soon after leaving David Hamilton's office, Wilson won the competition to replace William Stark's 1807 Parliamentary Road Lunatic Asylum with a new one at Gartnavel. A large Tudor-style hospital, two detached E-plan ranges with taller central and end pavilions. The west range was for the wealthy; the east was the charity wing, for the less fortunate. Superintendent's flat at centre of west range, four-storey over entrance, male and female dormitories on either side. East wing simpler detail, two domed pavilions link to garden wall, plain interiors. Wilson's Chapel and linking arcade were never built. [Small column 24] Chapel, 1904, J J Burnet, domestic looking. Nurses' Home, 1935, Norman Dick, of John Burnet, Son & Dick. Three-storey dark red brick, flat-roofed series of linked geometric buildings, in distinctive 1930s style with horizontally divided metal windows. Tom Wheldon Building, Beatson Oncology Dept, 2000, Wylie Shanks. Tall glazed reception, glass canopy and oversailing lightweight roof. Blood Transfusion Unit, 2000, W S Atkins. Crisp concrete- and metal-clad block, glass block stairtowers.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 140.00 55031 68034

NS56NE 140.01 55174 68069 Chapel

NS56NW 89 54981 67927 Nurse's Home

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect:

Charles Wilson 1842 - 1843

Sir John James Burnet

1898 - 1914 - additions

1898 - 1899 - new entrance and gate lodge

1900 - 1901 - piggeries

1904 - 1906 - new church

1907 - 1909 - additions to South wing, East house

1908 - 1909 - new boiler house

1910 - 1912 - extension to laundry building

1913 - 1914 - West house alterations

Site Management (5 November 2010)

One wing of a large Tudor style hospital in 2 detached E-plan ranges set at right angles; 2 or 3 storeys; attics and basements. More elaborate W range for wealthy patients, E range for the less fortunate, and correspondingly plainer. Both of stugged ashlar with polished margins and dressings; stonecleaned.

East wing: 21 bays arranged with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions and 5-bay 3-storey central pavilions. Details as above except hood-moulds only to ground floor and label stops of doorpiece simple blocks. S flank with 2 small ogee-domed pavilions linking tall coursed rubble garden wall to S, (airing ground). INTERIOR: with large dormitories, few smaller rooms off. (Historic Scotland)

Gartnavel Royal was built to replace William Stark's 1809 asylum, which had been steadily expanding since its construction in Parliamentary Road. A new site was acquired in 1839 with Charles Wilson appointed as architect. The new asylum was originally designed in two sections to be connected by a chapel and offices, these however were not constructed and it wasn't until 1904-6 that a chapel was built when Sir JJ Burnet was employed to provide new plans. (H.Richardson/ Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions