Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rouken Glen

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Site Name Rouken Glen

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 43903

Site Number NS55NW 5

NGR NS 54789 57710

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43903

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Eastwood (Eastwood)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NW 5 54789 57710.

(NS 5479 5771) Cup and Ring marked Rock (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

A number of cup marks, some with rings, appear on a rock outcrop, flush with the turf, 1/4 mile east of dovecot NS55NW 9 and near the railway, from which most of the marks can be seen.

A D Lacaille 1927.

The only outcrop of rock in the area corresponding to the description above is at NS 5479 5771. It measures about 1.7m by 1.0m and bears three possible cup marks each approximately 2ins in diameter; one has a single, or partial ring round it.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 22 January 1971.

Morris (1967), quoting Lacaille (1927) as a sub reference, is doubtless describing the same site (in Rouken Glen Park's rubbish dump, 5 yds from south fence and 100 yds from north west wall). However, he notes seven cup marks, none with rings, on a flat, turf covered outcrop.

R W B Morris 1967.

This site was visited in the course of fieldwork by Dr. T.C. Welsh.

For further details see MS/1508.

This cup-and-ring marked rock outcrop is situated in long grass and thin woodland at the S end of Rouken Glen Public Park, immediately N of the Glasgow to Neilston railway line. Flush with the ground, the upper surface of the outcrop bears three cupmarks, one of which is partly ringed, and several natural depressions.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 7 June 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (7 June 2007)

This cup-and-ring marked rock outcrop is situated in long grass and thin woodland at the S end of Rouken Glen Public Park, immediately N of the Glasgow to Neilston railway line. Flush with the ground, the upper surface of the outcrop bears three cupmarks, one of which is partly ringed, and several natural depressions.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 7 June 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions