Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Netherlee, Linn Park Bridge

Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Netherlee, Linn Park Bridge

Classification Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) White Cart Water; Linn Park Bridge; Netherlee; Halfpenny Bridge

Canmore ID 43840

Site Number NS55NE 46

NGR NS 58094 59244

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43840

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Cathcart (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Halfpenny Bridge, Linn Park, c.1835

Cast-iron depressed arch structure, pierced decorative cast-iron arches, plain cast-iron balustrade, for driveway to Linn Mansion. Oldest complete iron bridge in Glasgow, with 1950s concrete deck.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS55NE 46 58094 59244

For Mansion House to E, see NS55NE 133.

For Linn Park (centred NS 585 593), see NS55NE 261.

See Architecture, manuscripts.

Bridge, Linn Park, built c. 1835. A cast-iron arched structure, over the River Cart, with for identical ribs, each apparently a one-piece casting, and simple wrought-iron railings. The oldest complete iron bridge in the city [Glasgow].

J R Hume 1974.

To the W of The Lynn (NS55NE 133). an iron bridge of c. 1835 spans the Cart in one elegant arch. It is apparently a one-piece casting, and is the oldest complete iron bridge in the city.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge crosses the White Cart Water within Linn Park and to the WNW of the Mansion House NS55NE 133. It apparently carries the road or drive that formerly gave access to the house from the entrance (NS 57870 59046) on Netherlee Road.

The bridge is depicted but not noted on the 1953 edition of the OS 1:1250 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 February 2006.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

In 1820 a wealthy Glasgow merchant, Colin Campbell, bought what he named the Linn Estate, after a waterfall

there and built a mansion as a summer residence. The estate eventually became the Linn Park and the house is now a visitor centre.

The waterfall occurs where the White Cart flows over a dolerite sill with a drop of 12 ft. About 100 yards upstream the river is bridged by an elegant cast-iron footbridge of some 43 ft span with sandstone masonry abutments.

The arch is semi-elliptical in shape and formed of four ribs spaced 4 ft apart and braced at the third points by

rectangular frames held by bolts with square nuts. No bolts show on the elevations of the ribs, which are

pierced by ornamental tracery in the spandrels. The bridge is 12 ft wide between iron parapets which may

well be original. The designer and ironfounder are unknown but the bridge probably dates from the 1820s.

In the late 1940s a haunching of concrete was placed around the seatings of the arch ribs to provide protection.

The bridge is now restricted to pedestrian use.

R Paxton and S Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions