Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Netherlee, Williamwood House

House (17th Century), Human Remains (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Netherlee, Williamwood House

Classification House (17th Century), Human Remains (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 43822

Site Number NS55NE 3

NGR NS 5734 5867

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43822

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Cathcart (Eastwood)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NE 3 5734 5867.

(NS 5734 5867) Williamwood (NAT)

OS 6" map, Renfrewshire, 2nd ed., (1863)

(NS 5735 5860) Williamwood (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

Crawfurd, writing in 1710, mentions that "Near Bogtoun is the house of Williamwood, the seat of, and from whence, John Maxwell, sherrif-depute of Renfrew, takes his designation." Semple, in 1782, adds that a large addition was built on the front on the front of the house and dated 1763. Ejected ministers were given shelter in Williamwood in 1678 (Ross 1883).

G Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; W Ross 1883.

The New Statistical Account (NSA 1845) notes that the old castle of Lee or Williamwood stood near the place where a group of 42 "subterranean houses" were discovered in 1808 (see NS55NE 11). On clearing away the old castle foundations, the proprietor found many human bones "which he avers were of almost superhuman magnitude."

NSA 1845.

NS 573 586 Rathmell Archaeology Limited carried out an archaeological watching brief in March 2005 in respect of extension works at Williamwood House, Netherlee. The watching brief did not identify any archaeological material during the excavation of the foundation trenches for the extensions.

Report to WoSAS and archive to NMRS.

Sponsor: Anderson Bell and Christie.

Rebecca Shaw, 2006.

Activities

Ground Survey (2009)

Williamwood Estate

Planned landscape study

Stuart Nisbet

NS 5735 5860 The Williamwood Estate developed from the lands of Lee and Bogton in the 1660s. At its peak in

the 1790s it took in parts of the parishes of Cathcart, East Kilbride, Eastwood and Mearns. In the mansion policies and ‘Home Farm’ there are three distinct but overlapping phases, centred on three successive Williamwood Houses on at least three different sites. These continued as the seat of the landowner following the abandonment of the adjacent Lee Castle (NS 5767 5858) in the 17th century. The core policies

of the estate were gradually hemmed in by the Williamwood Sandstone Quarry and Mines (centred on NS 5712 5773) and the Neilston railway on the W, the Williamwood Golf Course on the S, the B767 on the E and suburban development on the N. However, a great deal survives in old boundaries, in woodland and in the golf course.

Estate features:

NS 5734 5867 Site of Williamwood House No 1 (17th to 18th

century) – 1808 Estate Plan.

NS 5747 5869 Site of Williamwood House No 2 (19th

century).

NS 5735 5861 Present Williamwood House No 3 (1930s).

NS 5752 5848 Site of Beechlands House (1930s to 1970s).

NS 5759 5840 Horseshoe Driveway from former South

Lodge, via Williamwood House No 2, to former North Lodge

at NS 5770 5874.

NS 5766 5852 Former Home Farm (19th century).

NS 5730 5853 Rectangular boundary and part of the wall

of former walled orchard and garden (in Williamwood Golf

Course).

NS 5762 5858 to NS 5746 5829 Former 18th-century

alignment of Glasgow to Kilmarnock Road (B767).

NS 5703 5865 18th-century bridge on Hole Burn on

boundary with Eastwood parish

NS 5773 5878 Start of road to Williamwood Quarry.

Note (23 November 2010)

The name Williamwood House has been applied to at least three structures on the Williamwood Estate. The first (NS55NE 3) was occupied in the 17th-19th centuries and is depicted on the first edition of the OS 1:2500 scale map (1859). The second house (NS55NE 315) was built in the 19th century and is depicted on the second edition of the OS 1:2500 scale map (1897-1989). The third Williamwood House (NS55NE 191) was built in the 1930s and is first depicted on the provisional edition of the OS 1:2500 scale map published 1939-1941).

Nisbet, S 2009

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 23 November 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions