Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Loch Baravat, Dun Baravat

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Galleried Dun (Iron Age)

Site Name Lewis, Loch Baravat, Dun Baravat

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Galleried Dun (Iron Age)

Alternative Name(s) North Galson

Canmore ID 4344

Site Number NB45NE 1

NGR NB 46172 59665

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4344

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB45NE 1 46172 59665.

(NB 462 597) Dun (NR) (Site of)

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1898)

There are the remains of a dun or broch, approached by a causeway, on the larger of the two islands in Loch Bharabhat.

In 1852 no portion of the wall could be traced, but its diameter was estimated at approx. 50ft.

Thomas classifies it as a broch and found "6 or 8ft of it remaining".

By 1914 it had become "a mound of tumbled stones about 70ft in diameter and rising 4ft above the water ... utterly destroyed" and listed as a site.

Name Book 1852; F W L Thomas 1890; RCAHMS 1928.

Thomas' plan indicates that this was a galleried dun occupying almost the whole of a small island at NB 4617 5965, but nothing survives except a scatter of stones. The causeway is still visible, but is submerged to a depth of 1ft.

Visited by OS (N K B) 15 June 1969.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

NB45 2 LOCH BARAVAT

NB/462597

This probable broch in Barvas, Lewis, stands on the larger of two islands in Loch Baravat and is reached by a causeway. In the middle of the 19th century no part of the wall could be seen [1] but a little later Thomas drew a plan of a structure with a galleried wall and reported that there was "6 or 8 ft of it remaining"; he classified the site as a broch [2]. By 1914 the site was completely wrecked [3].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NB 45 NE 1: 2. Thomas 1890, 373: 3. RCAHMS 1928, 11, no. 36.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions