Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Chapel Of Colquhoun

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Old Chapel Of Colquhoun

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 43251

Site Number NS47NW 2

NGR NS 4289 7509

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43251

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Dumbarton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS47NW 2 4289 7509.

(NS 4289 7509) Old Chapel of Colquhoun (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map (1922)

This detail is not shown on the first edition plans but is shown on the second and subsequent editions as a north wall about 40ft long to which is conjoined an east wall 15ft long (OS 25" map, 1861-1939).

Bruce writes "To the north-west of the old castle (NS47NW 3) and below the Muir of Colquhoun is a knoll or mound called Chapel Knowe. In the centre of this knoll there is the appearance of the foundations of a small building, and the state of the surrounding ground indicates that in early times it had been used as a place of sepulture. A tradition is preserved among the old people that on this knoll a chapel formerly stood and it is said that part of the walls about 100 years ago remained. Within this century, tombstones have been excavated from the ground on the Chapel Knowe."

It is not possible to resolve whther the published position is correct or not. Neither Chapel Knowe nor Muir of Colquhoun has been found as a name on any plan.

J Bruce 1893

The remains of this supposed chapel, situated on top of a natural rocky mound, consist of only part of the turf-covered north and east walls, including the northeast angle and nowhere more than 0.2m high and 0.8m wide.

At NS 4291 7509 similar in appearance and 12.5m to the east, is another ruin, a few inches in height and turf covered, measuring 5.0m N-S by 3.2m E-W. Natural rock forms the S wall.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 January 1963

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions