Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Blackhall

Manor House (Medieval)

Site Name Paisley, Blackhall

Classification Manor House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Blackhall Priory

Canmore ID 43146

Site Number NS46SE 22

NGR NS 49089 63125

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43146

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

NS46SE 22 49089 63125.

BUILT: 1574.

(NS 4909 6312) Blackhall (NR) (remains of) (NAT)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Blackhall, first mentioned in the 13th century, was evidently a residence of the Stewarts.

G W S Barrow 1973

The present old house called Castle (Third Statistical Account [TSA] 1962) of Blackhall, is a simple, two-storeyed mansion, built in the late 16th or early 17th century. It is now a roofless ruin.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

A rectangular building of rubble masonry, now roofless and the interior ruinous. No date stones were seen.

Visited by OS (JFC) 29 March 1954

Now restored and inhabited.

Information from OS Field Surveyor 30 March 1988

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions