Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmaurs, Main Street, Tolbooth

Pillory (Post Medieval), Tolbooth (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilmaurs, Main Street, Tolbooth

Classification Pillory (Post Medieval), Tolbooth (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Council House; Irvine Vennel

Canmore ID 42940

Site Number NS44SW 10

NGR NS 41041 41210

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42940

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilmaurs (Kilmarnock And Loudoun)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS44SW 10 41041 41210.

(NS 4104 4120) The old Kilmaurs Tolbooth or Council House stands on the corner opposite the Irvine Vennel, and in the centre of the main thoroughfare. Its walls are 3ft thick, and there are two small windows high in the gable. The building is mentioned in 1667 and again in 1743. The steeple was built in 1800.

D McNaught 1912

The tolbooth is a considerably restored building which stands isolated in the main street of Kilmaurs. The clock tower forms the S frontage and a stone bearing the part date '17..' is inserted in the wall. The small block of buildings on the N is modern. A set of jougs is attached to the S wall of the tolbooth.

Visited by OS (JLD) 27 July 1956

No change. In good repair.

Visited by OS (JRL) 24 August 1982.

Removed from list of scheduled ancient monuments, former number 321.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 19 November 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions