Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cameron Home Farm

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Cameron Home Farm

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 42492

Site Number NS38SE 6

NGR NS 3713 8214

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42492

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SE 6 3713 8214.

(NS 3713 8214) Tumulus (NR)

OS 6" map (1923)

Long Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

'This tumuli or ancient burying place is near the east end of Cameron Plantation. It is about 300 links long and 130 links broad: the line of graves numbers aboout 25 in two unfinished rows and on the north side of the space an immense quantity of small loose stones are collected...'

Name Book 1896

'... a collection of ancient tumuli on the high lands of Sommer, on the edge of the moor,...; the graves, of which there may be from 20 to 25, within an oblong of 200ft by 60, are of the usual description, fenced by rude and undressed stones. The covers have been mostly removed or destroyed.'

During the course of 'an investigation' about 1800, bones and stone arrowheads were found in them.

NSA 1845

A Clyde-Solway chambered cairn, lying ESE-WNW, now only 70 to 80ft long. The maximum width, at the ESE end is c. 42ft. At this end there is a facade, of which four stones are visible, forming a slightly concave line: the tumble of cairn material now extends c. 20 ft to the front of the facade.

Behind the facade, on the SW side, are the remains of an axial chamber. 25ft NW of this chamber is a large square chamber, not on the central axis, c.5ft by 3 3/4ft. Some 30ft beyond the traceable end of the cairn there are two small contiguous stones, the NW stone aligned on the centre-line of the cairn.

A S Henshall 1972

The remains of this long cairn are 68.0m long by c.18.0m wide at the SE end and c.6.0m wide at the NW. It varies in height from 0.2m at the NW end to c.1.5m at the SE.

A cutting, c.4.0m wide and 3.0m deep (? the excavation of c.1800) has been made the full length of the cairn, exposing three chambers and the remains of a possible fourth. Vegetation makes it impossible to identify any others.

Visited by OS (JLD) 27 September 1956 and (WDJ) 25 January 1963.

The remains of what is probably a Clyde cairn lie in a forestry plantation overlooking the S end of Loch Lomond. The cairn measures 25m by 12m and is orientated ESE-WNW. Four facade stones can be seen on the E and at least one kerb-stone survives on the S. Immediately behind the facade there are the remains of the axial chamber and 7.6m to the

N there is a further chamber.

RCAHMS1978, visited August 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions