Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alexandria, North Main Street, Argyll Motor Car Factory

Boundary Wall (Period Unassigned), Clock Tower (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Railings (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Alexandria, North Main Street, Argyll Motor Car Factory

Classification Boundary Wall (Period Unassigned), Clock Tower (Period Unassigned), Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Railings (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Lomond Factory Outlets; Alexandria, Royal Naval Torpedo Factory; Royal Torpedo Factory; Heather Avenue

Canmore ID 42488

Site Number NS38SE 21

NGR NS 38933 80676

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42488

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SE 21.00 38933 80676

NS38SE 21.01 NS 38914 80774 House (Lodge: Heather Avenue)

NS38SE 21.02 NS 38931 80546 Lodge (North Main Street)

Argyll Motor Factory: (now a R.N. torpedo factory). Extensive complex, with fine red sandstone frontage. There is a control block projecting from the building line, with pairs of granite columns supporting a pediment filled with sculptured figures. Above this is a clock tower with a copper-covered cupola, flanked by two smaller towers.

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 16 April 1967.

See NMRS MS/749 (Dunbartonshire, Bonhill/Alexandria parish).

(Location cited as NS 390 807). Motor car factory, built 1907 by the Argyll Motor Co Ltd. A large range of single-storey workshops with a two-storey office block. The centre five bays of the office project are surmounted by a central clock tower with a dome, flanked by two shorter towers. Currently empty, this complex was reckoned one of the largest motor-car factories in Europe when new, but only built cars to 1913.

J R Hume 1976.

Much of site now demolished.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Loch Lomond Factory Outlets [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2010.

Architecture Notes

NS38SE 21.00 38933 80676

NS38SE 21.01 38914 80774 House

NS38SE 21.00 38933 80676 Lodge

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions