Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fullarton Ice-house

Icehouse (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Fullarton Ice-house

Classification Icehouse (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Crosby House; Place Of Crosby

Canmore ID 42011

Site Number NS33SW 7

NGR NS 34397 30087

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42011

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Dundonald (Kyle And Carrick)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS33SW 7.00 34397 30087 Remains of Crosbie House / Fullarton Ice-House

NS33SW 7.01 34675 30081 Gate Piers

(NS 3439 3008) Crosbie House (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1967)

From about 1500, the Fullartons appear to have resided at their Place of Crosby, which later came to be called Fullarton-house. Part of the old mansion still stands; it was superseded by the present Fullarton House, built in 1745.

J Paterson 1863

Remains of Crosbie House: 17th century ruin adapted as an icehouse.

SDD List 1963

The ivy-covered ruins of Crosbie House are used chiefly as an ice-house. It is said to have been a residence of Sir Reginald Crawfurd, maternal uncle of Sir William Wallace. The property came into the hands of the Fullartons.

J Kirkwood 1876

The remains are in a dilapidated condition. Rectangular, the house measures 13.5 by 9.4m and is 6.5m high at the W end, with rubble masonry walls, 2.0m thick, containing small slit windows. The entrance is in the SW through a broad rectangular doorway. Most of the ground floor is vaulted; the W portion contains the icehouse.

Visited by OS (JLD) 10 March 1954

Only the ground level walling of the house now survives, up to 3.5m high. The W chamber is complete but its internal level has been built up to accommodate an ice basin, the floor now being level with a single remaining slit window in the W wall. There is almost no detail left of the E chamber, but wall-springing shows this too was once barrel-vaulted. The doorway in the SW has gone; there is now only a recess blocked with fallen masonry. The doorway between the E and W chambers is intact. (See also NS33SW 9 for associated dovecot).

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JRL) 20 May 1982

The remains of a late 15th or early 16th century tower-house are situated in the policies of Fullarton House (demolished in 1966), 90m SW of the stable-block. The tower was oblong on plan and measured 9.6m by 5.3m within walls 2m thick and now surviving to a height of 3m. A mural stair led directly to the first floor from the entrance at the W end of the SW wall, and a door opened directly to the vaulted basement, which may formerly have been divided by a cross-wall. The basement was lit by two splayed single-light windows and was furnished with an aumbry; a doorway was subsequently opened at the E end of the NE wall. With the completion of Fullarton House, sometime after 1745, the tower was partially dismantled and the remaining portion was converted for use as an ice-house. From the 16th century Crosbie was the seat of the Fullartons.

J Paterson 1863-6; J H Gillespie 1939; W J Dillon 1954; J Strawhorn 1959; M C Davis 1984; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985.

Activities

Photographic Survey (June 1965 - February 1966)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in June 1965 and February 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions