Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Teampull Eoin

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Tile(S)

Site Name Lewis, Teampull Eoin

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Tile(S)

Alternative Name(s) 'Church Of St John The Baptist In Bragar'; St John's Chapel; Teampull Eoin, Chapel, Graveyard And Settlement; Port Mhor Bragar

Canmore ID 4191

Site Number NB24NE 3

NGR NB 28833 48905

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4191

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Bragar Bordered by the seams of worked crofts, the road to Port Mhor Bhragair terminates with an old graveyard and the ruin of: Teampall Eoin (St. John's Church), possibly 15th century A variation on the standard, simple Hebridean medieval chapel, with a narrower chancel projecting beyond its nave; gables more or less intact. Dun

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NB24NE 3 28833 48905

(NB 2882 4890) Teampull Eoin (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6"map, (Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1898)

'Church of St John the Baptist in Bragar'.

M Martin 1934.

Teampull Eoin (John), a ruin within a graveyard, consists of a nave and chancel, built of rough rubble and orientated nearly NW and SE.

The nave measures internally 19ft 9 ins by 11ft, with walls from 2ft 5ins to 3ft 5ins thick. The gables are 11ft 2 ins from floor to apex, and the side walls are 6ft high. It is entered by a door in the west end of the south wall.

The chancel, measuring internally about 9ft long by 6ft 10 ins wide, is lower than the nave, reaching only to a height of 7ft 4 ins at the gable.

The building may be of 15th century date.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 1928.

Teampull Eoin occupies a knoll within the enlarged grave-yard and is as described by the Commission, except that the arch shown in the photograph is now tumbled.

Visited by OS (R L) 17 June 1969.

Scheduled as Teampull Eoin, chapel, graveyard and settlement, Port Mhor Bragar... the ruins of a later medieval church and its graveyard, the extended pre-20th century graveyard and an underlying prehistoric settlement mound.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 10 February 2005.

This chapel site was included in a research project to identify the chapel sites of Lewis and surrounding islands. The Lewis Coastal Chapel-sites survey recorded 37 such sites.

R Barrowman 2005

NB 28843 48882 5m from the E gable of the Teampall are three grave markers with pierced holes, which are clearly former roof slates with wooden peg holes, and the possibility exists that these are from the former roof ot the Teampall, which would indicate that the roof was slated.

James Crawford, 2006.

Activities

Casual Observation (2006)

NB 28843 48882 5m from the E gable of the Teampall are three grave markers with pierced holes, which are clearly former roof slates with wooden peg holes, and the possibility exists that these are from the former roof ot the Teampall, which would indicate that the roof was slated.

J Crawford 2006

Field Visit (March 2007 - February 2008)

Walkover, topographical and geophysical surveys were undertaken between March 2007 and February 2008 at two sites the W side of the Isle of Lewis.

NB 2882 4890 – Tempall Eoin, Bragar – Topographic survey was carried out of the chapel building and later enclosures, before further collapse of the chapel’s walls. The survey also recorded over 2,000 unmarked gravestones in the old cemetery around the Teampall. A detailed contour survey of the sandy mound into which the chapel is set was carried out, different alignments of grave slabs were identified, and the locations of roofing slates from the ruined chapel which had been reused as grave markers were noted. Topographic survey had also been planned at Tigh a’ Bheannaich, Aird Uig, but was cancelled due to storms.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland and Glasgow University

Rachel C Barrowman (Glasgow University), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions