Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Wallace's Stone

Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Site Name Wallace's Stone

Classification Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Blairstane

Canmore ID 41595

Site Number NS31NW 16

NGR NS 33214 16579

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41595

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Maybole
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS31NW 16 33214 16579.

(NS 3321 1657) Wallace's Stone (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1981)

An irregularly shaped boulder, bearing on one face a cross in false relief, is set within a walled enclosure on the S side of a track 180m NW of Blairstone Mains. The boulder (1.8m long, up to 1m broad and 0.6m thick) has been removed from its former position 30m to the SE (NS 3322 1654) and may originally have been standing. The cross, set slightly off centre, has arms of uniform length (0.16m) with expanded terminals (up to 0.26m broad) and a tapering shaft which drops from the centre of the head (0.87m long and up to 0.06m broad). The form of the cross suggests a 10th to 12th century date.

J Paterson 1863-6; J Smith 1895; W Macfarlane 1906-8; R Bryden 1910; A D Lacaille 1929; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) September 1985.

The incised figure, popularly believed to represent the sword of Wallace, is a cross, 3ft 6ins long and 14ins over the arms.

J Smith 1895

A recumbent megalith, 6ft 2ins long by 3ft 5ins at one end narrowing to a rounded end at the other, and bearing an incised cross, not positioned centrally and much weather-beaten.

A D Lacaille 1929

Activities

Field Visit (8 September 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Field Visit (12 December 1955)

This stone, enclosed by a wall, is as described above.

Visited by OS (JD) 12 December 1955

Field Visit (10 September 1968)

No change.

Visited by OS (RD) 10 September 1968

Field Visit (2 October 1980)

This is probably a recumbent standing stone, as inferred by Lacaille. Its maximum dimensions are 1.8m long by 1.1m wide and 0.6m thick.

Visited by OS (JRL) 2 October 1980

Field Visit (September 1985)

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) September 1985. For details see summary text.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions