Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Newark Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Newark Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) New-wark Of Bargany

Canmore ID 41590

Site Number NS31NW 11

NGR NS 32246 17377

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Maybole
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS31NW 32246 17377

(NS 3225 1736) Newark Castle (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1981)

Newark Castle (originally called the New-wark of Bargany) is an imposing 16th century tower with 17th century and modern additions, situated on rising ground and formerly guarded by a moat, now filled in.

The old tower measures some 32 1/2ft by 27 1/2ft, with rubble walls now harled and there are four storeys beneath the parapet and a garret storey above. The basement is vaulted. The 17th century addition. attached to the W wall of the original work, is very similar in plan to the tower, but has no parapet. It contains one storey more, due to a natural depression in the rock foundation. Extensive additions were made to the N and W sides about 1840.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965.

Newark Castle (name confirmed) is generally as described. It has been kept in good repair.

Visited by OS (JD), 12 December 1955

The tower is as described; its exterior has been renovated and re-harled recently. The 19th century E wing was demolished in 1977, revealing more detail of the lower N side of the tower. There is no trace of a moat. An etching of the tower, as it was in 1776 (R Bryden 1859), gives no indication of any outwork.

Visited by OS (JRL), 2 October 1980.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions