Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cloncaird Castle

Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cloncaird Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41496

Site Number NS30NE 1

NGR NS 35802 07558

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41496

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Kyle And Carrick)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS30NE 1 35802 07558

(NS 3581 0756) Cloncaird Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1910)

Cloncaird Castle: A modernised 16th century mansion to which a new front was build in 1814. Over the entrance to the courtyard is an armorial panel dated 1585.

A H Miller 1885; R Bryden 1915; J Paterson 1852

A modernised mansion which, in 1949, became Dubs Memorial Convalescent Home. The panel dated 1585 still exists. A large square tower occupying the SW corner of the convalescent home, and the W and N walls of the boiler house at the NW corner, appear to be the only visible remains of the 16th century mansion.

Visited by OS (JD) 22 November 1955

Generally as above. The name Cloncaird Castle is no longer in use.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 September 1968

Cloncaird Castle is once again a private residence and the remains of the 16th century mansion are well preserved.

Visited by OS (MJF) 7 October 1980

NS 358 A watching brief carried out in April 2005 at Cloncaird Castle identified water-rounded cobbles across the entire courtyard area, after the removal of the upper concrete. Given their lack of cohesion and general unevenness, it is unlikely that they were ever used as a cobbled surface. A small piece of blue and white china found underneath the cobbles indicates they were deposited sometime after the late 19th or early 20th century. A number of culverts were located after the cobbles had been removed, representative of an early drainage system. A number of later drains

had also been inserted into the courtyard, in some areas re-using the existing culverts.

Report to be lodged with WoSAS SMR.

Sponsor: Thompson Design Architects.

R Shaw 2005.

Architecture Notes

NS30NE 1.00 3581 0756.

NS30NE 1.01 35866 07622 Bridge

NS30NE 1.02 36323 07474 Cloncaird Mains

NS30NE 1.03 35794 07859 Gardener's Lodge

NS30NE 1.04 35793 07800 Walled Garden

NS30NE 1.05 35630 08164 Laigh Lodge

NS30NE 12 35938 07683 Stables

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: 16th Century.

1814 - front rebuilt and modernised.

Robert Wallace - lodge & gateway 1819

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions