Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cove And Kilcreggan, Knockderry Castle

Country House (19th Century), Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cove And Kilcreggan, Knockderry Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century), Earthwork (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41459

Site Number NS28SW 1

NGR NS 21680 83405

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41459

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rosneath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS28SW 1 21680 83405.

The New Statistical Account (NSA 1845) records 'the debris of an old Danish or Norwegian fort' on the shore of Loch Long. The site is now occupied by the modern mansion of Knockderry Castle.

RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977.

Architecture Notes

NS28SW 1.00 NS 2168 8340

NS82SW 1.01 NS 21716 83448 Knockderry Castle, North Lodge

NMRS REFERENCE

Owners: Co-Operative Holidays Association

Architects: Alexander Thomson additions

William Leiper

John Honeyman additions

Villa of 1855 greatly extended by William Leiper in 1896 for John Templeton of Templeton Carpet Factory.

Activities

Construction (1855)

Desk Based Assessment (4 May 1955)

Dun (?), Knockderry Castle (Site).

A modern mansion (1896) has been built on the site of this 'fort', and has completely obliterated all traces of it. The position is a strong one, on a high point of land between a burn on the S and a ravine to the N, and the work was presumably a dun rather than a fort.

Visited by RCAHMS (KS) 4 May 1955.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions