Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, Mansion House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Greenock, Mansion House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41301

Site Number NS27NE 2

NGR NS 2815 7597

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41301

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 2 2815 7597.

(NS 2815 7597) Mansion House (NR) AD 1674

OS 1:500 map (1859)

There is now no trace of the Mansion House at Greenock, which stood on the summit of a high, steep bank overlooking the Clyde. It was taken down in 1886 and the railway passes through the site.

In 1540, Sir Alexander Schaw obtained a grant of the forfeited lands of Wester Greenock Schaw. The lands were conveyed with the "auld castellsteid, castell, tour, fortalice and manor place new buildit". The old part of the house removed in 1886 may at least in part date to this period, though doubtless much altered a century later. Various dates, '1635', '1637' and '1674' were carved on stones on the house; between 1679 and 1699 the house became partly ruinous, and a square rectangular block was built on the site of the ruins some time before 1740. After the house was abandoned by the family, it was let to various tenants and the vaulted ground floor was used as a prison (see plan made in 1750, and illustrations).

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

There is no trace of this mansion.

Visited by OS (JD) 22 July 1955

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions