Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelburn Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kelburn Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 41169

Site Number NS25NW 22

NGR NS 21710 56704

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41169

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Largs
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS25NW 22.00 21710 56704

(NS 2172 5671) Kelburn (NR)

OS 6" map (1964)

Kelburn Castle consists of two distinct buildings - a late 16th century fortalice of Z plan, four storeys high with circular towers at the NE and SW angles; to this, an 18th century mansion has been added, set at an angle to the tower. Parts of this extension are dated 1722; a contract for its erection makes it clear that there was a previous building here which was demolished to allow this to be built. An entrance doorway is dated 1700 and seems to indicated a gradual building. A shield above the original doorway of the earlier tower, now converted to a window, is dated 1581.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

This is the seat of the Earls of Glasgow, of the Boyle family; the estate has been in their possession since the 13th century.

N Tranter 1965

The castle is open to the public by appointment.

H Fenwick 1976

Name confirmed as Kelburn by the Earl of Glasgow. This is generally as described, the 16th century and the 18th century building are now joined, and a further wing has been added on the NE. The composite building has a rough-cast exterior. In the S wall is a stone bearing the date '1581' and 'Restored 1890'. The building is in good condition.

Visited by OS (DS) 21 September 1956

No change. Kelburn remains a private residence though the gardens and estate are now a Country Centre open to the public.

Visited by OS (JRL) 8 February 1983

Architecture Notes

NS25NW 22.00 21710 56704

NS25NW 22.01 21695 56706 Sundial

NS25NW 22.02 21890 56714 Monument

NS25NW 22.03 21608 56545 Stables (West Range)

NS25NW 22.04 21563 56781 Cottages and cartshed

NS25NW 22.05 21564 56591 Bridge

NS25NW 22.06 21205 56385 Gate-piers, North drive

NS25NW 22.07 21059 56385 Gate-piers, South drive

NS25NW 22.08 21052 56724 Gate-piers, West drive

NS25NW 22.09 20995 56727 Kelburnfoot, West lodge

NS25NW 22.10 21165 57187 North lodge

NS25NW 22.11 21541 56875 Sundial

NS25NW 22.12 21681 56638 Footbridge

NS25NW 22.13 21701 56682 Children's Garden

NS25NW 22.14 c 211 571 West Lodge

NS25NW 22.15 21745 56394 Kelburn Estate

NS25NW 22.16 21623 56558 Stables (North Range)

NS25NW 22.17 21605 56530 Cottage at Stables

NS25NW 22.18 21613 56528 Cottage at Stables

NS25NW 22.19 21621 56526 Cottage at Stables

NS25NW 22.20 21628 56524 Cottage at Stables

NS25NW 22.11 21635 56523 cottage at Stables

Owner: Earl of Glasgow

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish National Portrait Gallery

'Country Life', Aug. 12th 1916 - article & photographs.

National Library

'Country Life', Aug. 26th 1939 - 1 photograph

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions