Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Law Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Law Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Law Tower Of Kilbride

Canmore ID 40996

Site Number NS24NW 1

NGR NS 21094 48416

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40996

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish West Kilbride
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS24NW 1 21094 48416

(NS 2109 4841) Law Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1970)

Law Castle is believed to have been built about 1468. Though now roofless, its walls remain complete. It is oblong on plan, measuring some 41ft by 30ft. There are four storeys beneath the parapet, the garret storey above having fallen in.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965

Law Castle, which is as described, is in fair condition. It is a very good example of a tower of this type.

Visited by OS (DS) 12 September 1956

No charge. The castle is unused and there is no public access to the interior. A plaque, of unknown origin, on the W wall reads: "Law Castle: Built in 1468 for Princess Mary, sister of James III, on her marriage to Thomas Boyd, later Earl of Arran. Gunports were built after the introduction of cannon. A very good example of a medium sized 15th century tower with three floors and two vaulted cellars".

Visited by OS (JRL) 29 October 1982

Being converted to flats.

Information from OS 14 June 1989.

Now restored and occupied.

N Tranter 1990

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Built c.1468 now roofless

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28169- DC28173, 1937.

Activities

Aerial Photography (1 May 2007)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions