Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thomaston Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Thomaston Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 40833

Site Number NS20NW 1

NGR NS 23995 09541

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40833

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Kirkoswald
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS20NW 1 23995 09541

(NS 2399 0953) Thomaston Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10000 map (1972)

Thomaston Castle is L-shaped on plan with a lengthy main block and short wing, having a square stair-tower in the re-entrant angle. The rubble walls rise three storeys to a corbelled parapet; the garret storey above has disappeared. An arched pend through the wing basement gave access to a former courtyard to the S. Although it is traditionally said to have been built by Thomas Bruce, nephew of Robert I, the present structure is clearly of 16th century date, probably being erected after the Corry family of Kelwood obtained the property in 1507.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965.

The remains of Thomaston Castle are in fair condition, several large holes being knocked through the walls and the interior covered with trees and debris; a modern hay loft has been erected adjoining its N wall.

The castle stands on a large mound and to the W and S a wide, slight ditch or hollow is visible. There is no trace of a courtyard or any buildings to the S of the castle.

Visited by OS (JD), 3 December 1955.

Thomaston Castle is generally as described in the previous field report. The mound on which it stands is a natural rise, and the ditch, which is very slight, may also be natural.

Visited by OS (RD), 7 March 1967.

No change to the previous reports.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (JRL), 31 May 1977.

NS 239 096 Installation of a services pipeline exposed parts of the outer works of a castle of c 1500 (NMRS NS20NW 1), including two revetted former burn courses, a probable barmkin wall and remains of one or more substantial structures within.

A report will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: National Trust for Scotland

T Addyman 1998.

Architecture Notes

Photographed in 2009 on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publications.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions