Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Earran Clann Imheir

Cemetery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Earran Clann Imheir

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Largnahunsion

Canmore ID 38990

Site Number NR76SW 12

NGR NR 7395 6165

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38990

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish South Knapdale
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR76SW 12 7395 6165.

(Name: NR 7400 6160) Burial Ground (NAT) (Earran Clann Imheir) (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1924)

This name derives from the bodies of the members of the clan Iver who were killed in the battle described under NR76SW 10 being buried here. Several years since the proprietor of Kilberry stopped burials at the graveyard there, the natives had, and still have to, use this one.

There is no record of its having been a burial ground beofre the McIvers were buried in it. Some years ago, when there was a high flood, part of the earth at the NE end of the burial ground was washed away, revealing a great number of skulls and bones, tending to prove that many were massacred.

Name Book 1868.

NR 7394 6164. This burial ground is still in use.

Visited by OS (I A) 2 July 1973.

Activities

Field Visit (October 1986)

This walled burial-ground, which remains in use, stands on the SE bank of the Abhainn Learg an Uinnsinn at the head of Loch Stornoway and some 400m SSW of Kilberry Parish Church (No. 49). A retaining-wall has been built to prevent further erosion of the river-bank on the N flank of the site. No dedication has been preserved, but the site was probably in use some time before the closure in the 1760s of the old churchyard at Kilberry (No. 48), although it is possible that some of the monuments described below may have been removed from that site (see also No. 46).

FUNERARY MONUMENTS (en.1)

(1) Headstone erected in 1720 to mark the burial-place of Gilbert McKuhan, 'taylor', and his family, and re-used in 1790 by Archibald MacKichan.

(2) Headstone 'set upe' by Captain Dugald Campbell of Kilberry in 172[?8] to commemorate John Campbell and four of his sons. On the back there is a large thistle in relief, above crudely-carved emblems of mortality.

(3-5) Three recumbent slabs of 18th-century character bearing indecipherable armorials.

(6) Headstone with shaped top erected in 1748 to mark the burial-place of Donald McIimuluag, miller at Lergnahunsion (en.2*), and his family. On the back a shield bears a set-square and dividers.

(7) Recumbent slab of schist bearing a shield similar to that on number 6, surrounded by a helm and mantling.

(8) Incomplete mill-stone, with socket for four-armed rind and incised square and dividers, re-used as a headstone in1789 to mark the burial-place of William Dawson, and restored in 1918 (en.3)

(9) Headstone with shaped top and mantling in bold relief on the back, erected in 1815 by James Campbell in Balure to commemorate his parents, John Campbell in Coulghailtro, who died in 1804 aged 87, and Margaret MacTavish aged 84.

(10) Headstone erected by Alexander Glen, mason at Kilberry, in memory of his daughter Elizabeth who died in1810 aged 3. Later headstones signed by masons of the Glen family, here and at Lochead (No. 85,ll), bear characteristic rosette ornament.

(11) Headstone erected in 1828 by George Johnstone, Carse, probably the mason who was building Carse House (No. 156) at that time.

RCAHMS 1992, visited October 1986

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions