Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Dun (Period Unassigned), Bracelet, Brooch, Finger Ring, Pin(S)

Site Name Kildalloig

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned), Bracelet, Brooch, Finger Ring, Pin(S)

Alternative Name(s) Glenramskill; Pointhouse

Canmore ID 38708

Site Number NR71NW 11

NGR NR 7453 1904

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Campbeltown
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR71NW 11 7453 1904

(NR 7451 1905) The Dun (Fort) (NR).

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Both this dun and the fort NR71NW 10 fall within the area of the Kildalloig Oil Fuel Depot NR71NW 29 (centred NR 74243 19070).

A dun situated on a natural shelf on a steep hillside and easily approached from all sides except the N where the ground falls away steeply from the base of the structure. It was excavated by Bigwood from 1963-65 by which time access to the site was no longer possible, leaving the NE quadrant incompletely explored. Two periods of occupation were indicated.

The dun is almost circular, measuring 14.6m x 12.8m within a wall 4.1m to 5.2m thick. It is best preserved on the NW where it stands 1.5m high with an internal revetment and contains a mural chamber. Interruptions in the line of the inner face of the dun wall hinted at the presence of two other mural recesses on the N and S sides, but no definite evidence is available. Two entrances with door checks occur, one on the WNW and the other in the ESE, the latter having a guard chamber.

Deliberate blocking has taken place at the entrances, the guard chamber and the mural chamber.

Dating for the first period of occupation is provided by the finding of a 2nd century AD Roman (Robertson 1970) bronze stud-head fibula beneath primary paving at the outer base of the W wall. To this period also may be dated a bronze spiral finger ring, an iron pin with a glass bead head, fragments of cannel-coal bracelets, a bone pin, and sherds of native pottery.

From the second period came sherds of Dark Ages imported pottery and other finds suggesting occupation in the Early Christian period, and also a Neolithic axe, probably from Ireland. It would appear that this occupation involved the levelling and paving of the interior of the dun. Associated post-holes seem to suggest the existence of timber buildings erected against the inner face of the dun.

The evidence suggest that the dun was constructed in the second century AD, and that there was no great time lapse between the two occupation periods (though there were indications that the dun had undergone some dilaptidation and perhaps abandonment) and that it was not finally abandoned until about the 8th century.

A S Robertson 1970; RCAHMS 1971, visited 1969; Information from W F L Bigwood.

The dun, as described and planned by RCAHM (1971) is preserved within a Ministry of Defence establishment.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (NKB) 23 November 1977.

Bronze spiral finger-ring in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museums.

E W MacKie 1971.


Field Visit (27 July 1955)

Visited by RCAHMS.

Field Visit (19 May 1956)

Visited and planned by RCAHMS 19 May 1956.

Notebook p88.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions