Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eilean Mor, St Cormac's Chapel, Cross

Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Eilean Mor, St Cormac's Chapel, Cross

Classification Cross (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Saint's Grave'

Canmore ID 38641

Site Number NR67NE 5

NGR NR 6667 7528

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38641

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish South Knapdale
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR67NE 5 6667 7528

(NR 6667 7527) Grave (NAT)

OS 6" map (1924)

There is a standing cross, its head broken, near the SE corner of the chapel on Eilean Mor. It is sculptured with panels of interlace and animal forms (M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964). It stands at the W end of what is said to be the grave of St Carmaig.

M E M Donaldson 1930.

Activities

Field Visit (16 May 1973)

The cross is as described. It stands at the W end of a small rectangular stone setting.

Visited by OS (DWR) 16 May 1973.

Reference (2001)

(4) SE of the chapel, at the head of a former 'Saint's Grave', stands the shaft and lower part of the head of a slab-like ringed cross. It is 1.75m in visible height by 0.62m, but was at least 2.8m in original height. The cross-head, which had oval armpits, retains no ornament. The E face has triple margins, continued onto the ring, which frame a blank panel at the foot of the shaft. Above this are two wrestling beak-headed monsters with tails and prominent genitals, each holding a cord attached to a horizontal plait above which is a panel of key-pattern similar to that at Ardchattan (Lorn). This is followed by a hooded rider, and a plaited knot at the left. Above, and without division, there is a large monster gripping a ?snake in its fierce jaws and linked by its tail and crest to a cruciform group of four animals at the top of the shaft.

The W face has a broad margin with double-beaded knotwork which continues onto the surviving N stump of the ring. At the foot this frames two squatting beasts with interpenetrating necks and large heads. Above an area of double-beaded interlace the shaft is badly flaked, although the forequarters of a stag are visible at the left.

I Fisher 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions