Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cara, Cara House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cara, Cara House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 38593

Site Number NR64SW 2

NGR NR 64128 44327

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38593

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Gigha And Cara
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR64SW 2 64128 44327.

NR 6412 4432 Cara House was erected about the year 1733 as the residence of the tacksman of Cara, who held the island from its proprietors, the MacDonalds of Largie. The house, which stands towards the N end of the island, comprises a rectangular block of two main storeys and an attic, and measures about 10.7m from N to S by 6.8m transversely over walls some 0.7m in thickness; a later single-storeyed outshot projects westwards from the S end of the rear elevation. The roof is gable-ended and slated. About 45m SW of the house there is a well-preserved corn-drying kiln, of which the chamber measures about 2.1m in diameter at the mouth.

RCAHMS 1971.

Cara House is in process of renovation.

Visited by OS (N K B) 1 February 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions