Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Islay, Clachan Ceann Ile

Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Clachan Ceann Ile

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 38030

Site Number NR44NW 6

NGR NR 4368 4832

NGR Description NR 4368 4832 and NR 4369 4832

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/38030

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kildalton And Oa
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR44NW 6 4368 4832 and 4369 4832

(NR 4368 4832 and NR 4369 4832) Clachan Ceann Ile (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Clachan Ceann Ile: This name applies to two standing stones near the road, about 1/4 mile NE of Ardimersay Cottages.

Name Book 1878; Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9.

Two large blocks of stone, evidently part of an ancient grave. Tradition assigns it to Iula, a stranger princess, after whom Islay is named.

R C Graham 1895.

Seven white flints, two of which were short, thin blades, were found at Clachan Ceann Ile by D MacKechnie, and are now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS).

F Celoria 1959.

NR 4369 4832. Clachan Ceann Ile: name unconfirmed.

A standing stone, situated in dense woodland on the edge of a south-facing scarp, and once having a commanding prospect over Loch a' Chnuic. Triangular in section and roughly pointed, it measures 1.4m high, 0.9m wide and 0.3m thick. It is moss covered, apparently unmarked, and slightly inclined to NW.

Ten metres to the east, by a road-side bank, is a smaller, insignificant set stone of doubtful association. It measures 0.7m high, 0.8m wide and 0.3m thick, and is probably not prehistoric in origin.

(Standing Stone) surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (JRL) 21 June 1978.

On a steep, tree-covered slope immediately w of the public road from Port Ellen to Ardtalla, and 350m S of Tigh

Raoriastail, there are two upright stones situated 10m apart. The larger (w) stone, trapezoidal in section and with a

pointed top, is 1.6m high. 0.8m broad and between 0.25m and 0.15m thick at the base. with its alignment running NW

SE. The other stone measures 0.7m by 0.3m and 0.75m in height, with its long axis lying N-S. No longer entirely

earthfast, they do not appear to be of prehistoric date, and there is no evidence to support the tradition that they mark

the grave of Yula, 'a daughter of one of the Kings of Denmark' (Statistical Account 1791-9).

RCAHMS 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions