Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Duisker

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Islay, Duisker

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Duisker 1

Canmore ID 37679

Site Number NR36NE 1

NGR NR 3662 6643

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37679

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Killarow And Kilmeny
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR36NE 1 3662 6643.

(NR 3662 6643) Chapel (NR) (In ruins) Burial Ground (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

The turf-covered founds of an ancient chapel stand about 1 1/2ft in height in the centre of its burial ground. Nothing is known of the history of the site.

(The facts that the burial ground lies at the SE corner of Buaile na L Eaglaise - Fold of the Church - and that the stones of the chapel are undressed and dry-built, have been partially obliterated from the report).

Name Book 1878.

The footings of this chapel stand within a burial-ground about 700m SE of Duisker farmhouse and 600m ESE of the

chapel NS36NE 2. The building measures about 6.5m from ENE to WSW by 3.5m transversely within what appear to have been drystone walls about 1m in thickness; the entrance is centrally placed in the ESE wall. The burial-ground is roughly triangular on plan, measuring about 22m from N to S by 23m transversely within a drystone wall about 1m in thickness; the entrance was probably situated close to the s corner.

There are no identifiable tombstones.

RCAHMS 1984, visited September 1975.

The chapel measures internally 6.5m ENE-WSW by 3.5m within a wall, 1.2m to 1.5m wide and 0.9m high, now over-grown with turf but with some facing stones exposed. The entrance was in the SSW wall. The burial ground, enclosing the chapel, is roughly triangular in shape, and measures 22.0m by 16.0m, the wall is similar in state to that of the chapel, but on the NW extent it is more substantial, being 1.2m high and 3.5m broad. In the east, the wall is incorporated in the line of a field wall. Inside the ESE angle of the burial ground are footing of a buiding.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (J M) 2 June 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions