Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Portnahaven And Port Wemyss Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Islay, Portnahaven And Port Wemyss Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Telford Church; War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 37252

Site Number NR15SE 11

NGR NR 16797 52282

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilchoman
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NR15SE 11 1679 5227

For Portnahaven manse (NR 1704 5226), see NR15SE 9.

This Parliamentary church was completed in 1828 to serve the S portion of Kilchoman parish, which in 1849 became

fully constituted as the quoad sacra parish of Portnahaven. (Highland Churches, 1st Report; H Scott et al 1915-61)

The building is of a standard T-plan designed by Thomas Telford, (Telford, Atlas) and the main block measures 16.1m in length from E to W by 9.35m transversely over all. The walls are of harled rubble with dressings of reddish sandstone. The windows and doorways have equilateral arched heads and offset margins wrought with a broad chamfer. There are paired windows in the centre of the main S frontage, and these are flanked by doorways at each end. The roof is slated, and the w gable is surmounted by a belfry of birdcage type with an obelisk finial; there is a lesser plain finial at the apex of the E gable-wall.

The church retains an original galleried interior served by balustraded stairs on either side. The pulpit is set against the

centre of the S wall, and incorporates a pedimented and pilastered sounding-board.

RCAHMS 1984, visited August 1977.

Telford church.

S Hackett and N Livingston 1984.


Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions