Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auquhollie, Lang Stane

Ogham Inscribed Stone (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Auquhollie, Lang Stane

Classification Ogham Inscribed Stone (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Ogham Stone

Canmore ID 37143

Site Number NO89SW 10

NGR NO 82326 90797

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/37143

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fetteresso
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Activities

Field Visit (July 1965)

'Lang Steen' (its local name) is a natural rectangular monolith, 8 1/2ft high by 2 1/2ft by 1 1/2ft. On the NE face, about 2 1/2 ft from the top is a Pictish double-disc symbol with cross-bar measuring about 5 1/2 inches across. Below it are traces of another symbol involving circles. The SE angle bears a complete and well preserved Ogham inscription, reading 'VUO NO N (I) TEDOV'. 4ft 4ins long which when visited by Crawford for the OS in October 1939, had been recently cleaned. The stone is alleged to have been part of a stone circle but no sign of one could be seen in 1865. Diack 1925; Allen and Anderson 1903, iii, 203-4; Name Book, Kincardineshire, No. 10, p.93. The symbols are considerably weathered and are now almost obscured. No trace of a stone circle could be found.

Resurvey at 1/2500.

Visited by OS July 1965.

Field Visit (February 2005)

The alleged miniature double-disc and Z-rod symbol has been identified as possibly the handle of a mirror symbol.

Information from RCAHMS (JB), February 2005.

Desk Based Assessment

NO89SW 10 8232 9079.

This standing stone is situated on the NW side of a farmtrack 380m NW of Nether Auquhollie farmsteading. It measures 0.43m by 0.66m by 0.7m at the base and 2.35m in height, and bears an ogham inscription on its SE edge. There is no trace of a Pictish double-disc symbol which is alleged to have existed on the NE side of the stone. The stone is said to have been part of a circle which was removed before 1865, and the adjacent croft (now demolished) was called Langstanes.

Information from OS.

Name Book 1864; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; F C Diack 1925; RCAHMS 1984, visited November 1983.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions