Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stonehaven, Station Road, Stonehaven Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Site Name Stonehaven, Station Road, Stonehaven Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 36952

Site Number NO88NE 67

NGR NO 86406 86196

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36952

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fetteresso
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO88NE 67 86406 86196

(Location cited as NO 864 862). Stonehaven station was opened c.1850 by the Aberdeen Rly. A 2-platform through station, with the main offices on the up platform, in a 2-storey ashlar building, with the platform at first-floor level. There is an unusually heavy cast-iron-framed platform awning.

J R Hume 1977.

Stonehaven station was opened 1849 by the Aberdeen Railway, and comprises a two-platform through station, with the main offices on the up platform. These are housed in a two-storeyed asymmetrical Italianate ashlar building with slate roof and broad eaves, and a later single-storeyed wing. The platforms are at first-floor level (there is a subway passage beneath the tracks) and is covered by an awning with ornate trusses mounted on round cast-iron columns.

There is also a brick-built signal box at the N end of the station, and a wooden goods shed at its E side. There were plans to demolish the goods shed on the date of visit.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 5 February 1998.

J R Hume 1977; R V J Butt 1995.

This intermediate station on the Perth-Kinnaber Junction-Aberdeen (main) line of the former Caledonian Rly was opened (by the Aberdeen Rly.) on 1 November 1849. It remains in regular passenger use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 3 October 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NO88NE 67 86406 86196

Stonehaven Station.

Opened probably 1.4.1850 (Aberdeen Railway)

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

Opened in 1849 for the Aberdeen Railway Co. Italianate, with on the south-bound platform a monopitch awning on cast iron columns with ornate scrolled brackets. Some changes were made in the 1890s, including a signal box and timber goods shed of late 19th century types. The railway viaduct running south from the station and bridging the A90 is one of several that were originally built by the Aberdeen Railway as timber laminated arches on low stone piers. The arches all had to be replaced by steel trusses in the later 19th century, on extensions to the stone piers.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions