Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Of Haulkerton

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Castle Of Haulkerton

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Haulkerton Castle; Mains Of Haulkerton Wood

Canmore ID 36518

Site Number NO77SW 1

NGR NO 7126 7312

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36518

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Laurencekirk
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO77SW 1 7126 7312.

(NO 7126 7312) Castle of Haulkerton (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1971)

Castle of Haulkerton, which was probably a tower (RCAHMS 1982) stood 220m NNE of Mains of Haulkerton farm, where two stones built into the steading bear dates of 1648 and (probably) 1556.

Traces of the foundations could be seen in the 19th century. Cramond (1894) states that it was last used as a residence in the early 18th century, and was ruinous by 1790. Its stones were used to build dykes round Haulkerton Plantation, in Mains of Haulkerton steading, and when building the parish church (NO77SW 16).

RCAHMS 1982; A Jervise 1885; W Cramond 1894; J C Watt 1914; W R Fraser 1880.

No trace remains of the Castle of Haulkerton.

Visited by OS (R L) 12 December 1967.

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

NO 712 731. A resistivity survey and trial excavations were carried out (by Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust) in July 1993, prior to potential development of an area of about 2ha.

In the NW corner of Mains of Haulkerton Wood, under a shallow topsoil profile of c0.3m, fragmentary foundation wall remains were located cut into the natural clay. From documentary evidence, the remains correspond to the supposed location of the late medieval Castle of Haulkerton. They demonstrate that the castle was extensively robbed out in the late 18th century and also partially disturbed by 20th-century dumping. The shallow foundation remains of a possible barmkin wall were also found.

Three 19th-century linear agricultural field banks were observed in the southern half of the wood.

Sponsor: Mr J Medlock (landowner).

J R MacKenzie 1993.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions