Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kaim Of Mathers

Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Kaim Of Mathers

Classification Castle (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Mathers Castle

Canmore ID 36337

Site Number NO76SE 1

NGR NO 76297 64911

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36337

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish St Cyrus
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO76SE 1 76297 64911

(NO 7630 6489) Kaim of Mathers (LB)

OS 6" map (1959)

Allegedly the remains of a castle erected in the 15th century, on a rocky peninsula connected to the mainland by a narrow isthmus.

The isthmus was guarded by two rows of battlements, one of which still remains, well-preserved. There are traces around the greater part of the rock, and on its sea-ward extremity there are the remains of a square tower, accessible only by leaping over a chasm.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

The remains showed a building about 30 or 40ft square.

A Jervise 1885

All that remains of the Kaim of Mathers are a ruined tower at the extreme seaward end of a promontory, and a part of a battlement along the east side of the isthmus: the remainder has been destroyed by erosion. Only the N and E walls of the tower remain, measuring 2.5m square internally with walls 4.5m high and 0.6m thick. The section of crenellated walling at the isthmus measures 8.0m in length, 3.0m high and 0.6m thick, with a relieving arch beneath.

Visited by OS (NKB) 22 December 1967

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions