Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Montrose, High Street, Old Parish Church

Church (12th Century)

Site Name Montrose, High Street, Old Parish Church

Classification Church (12th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Montrose, Old Church; Montrose Steeple; Old And New St Andrews; Montrose Parish Church

Canmore ID 36253

Site Number NO75NW 4

NGR NO 71465 57756

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36253

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Montrose
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO75NW 4.00 71465 57756

NO75NW 4.01 Centred NO 71550 57765 Churchyard

NO75NW 4.02 NO 71569 57745 East gateway

(NO 7145 5775) The parish church built in 1791 on the site of its predecessor, which was an early medieval structure dedicated to St John the Evangelist and founded by the late 12th century although it is known to have been extended in 1643.

OSA 1793; A Jervise 1861; A J Warden 1884; J G Low 1891.

No evidence remains of the early building.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 June 1958

Architecture Notes

De-listed 2000

NRMS REFERENCE

Archtitect: David Logan 1791

James Gillespie Graham 1832-34 (spire)

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

The first mention of the church at Montrose (Salorch) is in 1161 x 1162 (Barrow, 1960, 232). It was included among Brechin Cathedral's earliest benefices (Low, 1891, 23). The old parish church was described as a 'Gothic Structure rendered very gloomy and irregular by the large additions to the gallery and to the building itself' (Sinclair, 1793, v, 32). Francis Douglas also described it as an 'irregular' structure which was 'gloomy and disagreeable' on the inside (1782, 64). That church had been extensively refurbished in the early seventeenth century (Low, 1891, 112) and in 1690 the magistrates and kirk session met jointly to consider the ruined nature of the choir, but the only repairs carried out on that occasion included propping up the walls with trees brought from Edzell (Low, 1891, 136). The present church was constructed in 1791 and the steeple was added in 1832.

Information from ‘Historic Montrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions