Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Musselburgh, Fisherrow

Railway Depot (19th Century), Timber Yard (19th Century)

Site Name Musselburgh, Fisherrow

Classification Railway Depot (19th Century), Timber Yard (19th Century)

Canmore ID 349183

Site Number NT37SW 1239

NGR NT 33401 72887

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/349183

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (1 March 2013)

On James Hay’s New Plan of Musselburgh and its Environs, 1824, (RHP1855) this triangular area of land, now defined by Edinburgh Road, New Street and Harbour Road, was occupied by Mr Handesyde’s Timber Yard. In 1831 the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway built a branch line from Wanton Walls to Fisherrow, using horse haulage, and the area became a rail depot serving Fisherrow harbour. In 1845 the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway was taken over by the North British Railway and the lines were extended north to the E and W quays of Fisherrow harbour (NT37SW 156) and WNW to the Pinkie Salt Pans (NT37SW 1238). The depot and the tram lines are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, Sheet 3); the depot was still depicted on the pre-WW2 OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1938 Sheet IV. SE).

Information from RCAHMS (GLB) 1 March 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions