Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Desk Based Assessment

Date 1 March 2013

Event ID 1005852

Category Recording

Type Desk Based Assessment


On James Hay’s New Plan of Musselburgh and its Environs, 1824, (RHP1855) this triangular area of land, now defined by Edinburgh Road, New Street and Harbour Road, was occupied by Mr Handesyde’s Timber Yard. In 1831 the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway built a branch line from Wanton Walls to Fisherrow, using horse haulage, and the area became a rail depot serving Fisherrow harbour. In 1845 the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway was taken over by the North British Railway and the lines were extended north to the E and W quays of Fisherrow harbour (NT37SW 156) and WNW to the Pinkie Salt Pans (NT37SW 1238). The depot and the tram lines are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1854, Sheet 3); the depot was still depicted on the pre-WW2 OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1938 Sheet IV. SE).

Information from RCAHMS (GLB) 1 March 2013.

People and Organisations