Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Flemington Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Flemington Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 34811

Site Number NO55NW 30

NGR NO 52612 55643

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34811

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Aberlemno
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO55NW 30 52612 55643

(NO 5259 5568) Tower (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

Flemington House, a well preserved mansion of the 17th century, is of L-plan, the entrance being in the re-entrant angle.

The first floor and the upper part of the house have been entirely remodelled and possibly even partly rebuilt in the late 17th or early 18th centuries.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The remains of this towerhouse are fairly well-preserved although the ivy-clad walls of the main block are showing signs of beginning to crumble. This portion is also unroofed. The NE wing is roofed and contains the entrance doorway, and a circular stair turret in the re-entrant angle. There is also an angular stair turret in the angle formed by the projecting wing and the main block on the north. Roof features comprise chimneys and crow-stepped gables.

The basement contains vaulted cellars, and there is a modern outbuilding attached to the south.

The tower is unoccupied.

Visited by OS (JLD) 21 August 1958.

Flemington Castle is an L-plan tower-house of late 16th-or early 17th-century date. It was occupied until the late 19th century but is now roofless.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; NMRS, ANR/13/1; RCAHMS 1984

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions