Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Dundee, Caird Park, Mains Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Dundee, Caird Park, Mains Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Fintry Castle

Canmore ID 33474

Site Number NO43SW 18

NGR NO 41092 33018

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33474

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Buildings of Scotland 2011-12 (18 November 2011)

Mains Castle is now let by the City of Dundee and used as a venue for events.

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 18 41092 33018.

(NO 4109 3300) Mains Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1969)

Mains Castle, formerly Fintry Castle, is 16th century, but an earlier castle is said to have stood on this site.

The existing building is in the form of a courtyard with ranges of buildings on the N, E and S. The W side is enclosed by a wall containing the entrance gateway. The principal and earliest buildings are those on the N side with a square tower of remarkable height, containing the entrance doorway. The eastern range has a more modern appearance and may date from the end of the 16th century. The buildings of the S range are almost entirely demolished, but are not likely to be part of the early part of the castle.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Mains Castle is deserted and ruinous although the tower is in good condition and the E range is still roofed. A plaque states that the castle was built about 1550 by Sir David Graham in whose family it remained until the 19th century, whereafter it was allowed to fall into ruin.

Visited by OS (J L D) 17 April 1958.

As part of the restoration of the castle a great deal of overburden material has been removed from the south side of the castle. A considerable amount of pottery has been recovered mostly dating to the late 19th - early 20th century. As yet, there is no firm evidence for the construction of a south range of buildings. Finds are in Dundee Museum.

L M Thoms 1984.

Architecture Notes

NMRS NOTES;

Dundee, Caird Park, Mains Castle.

Formerly known as Fintry Castle.

OWNER: Dundee Corporation

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Dundee, Caird Park, Mains Castle.

Scottish National Portrait Gallery.

SNPG Print Room: James Cox Album No. 4.

Photos of Old Mains Castle.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Photographic Survey (18 November 2011)

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publication.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions