Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Dunn

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bridge Of Dunn

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Oldhall Bridge

Canmore ID 331815

Site Number ND25NW 62

NGR ND 20579 56281

NGR Description centred

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331815

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Watten
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Oldhall Bridge

Two miles west of Greystones Bridge, at Watten on the same road, is Oldhall Bridge over a burn, [Burn of Dunn] built from 1815–19 under Telford’s general direction and now bypassed and deteriorating. It consists of a single semicircular arch about 16 ftwide and 24 ft high with an arch-ring of Caithness flagstones about 2 ft deep, paved invert, random rubble spandrels and approach retaining walls in similar stone. The roadway is 18 ft wide.

Both [this and Greystones Bridge] were erected as part of the improvement of the Thurso road. The surveyor was H. Fulton and the contractor J. Traill Esq. and others. Great difficulty was experienced in letting a contract for this 20 mile length of road which, at the then large sum of £13 365, cost about 30% more than the estimate.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions