Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 2007

Event ID 962776

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account


Oldhall Bridge

Two miles west of Greystones Bridge, at Watten on the same road, is Oldhall Bridge over a burn, [Burn of Dunn] built from 1815–19 under Telford’s general direction and now bypassed and deteriorating. It consists of a single semicircular arch about 16 ftwide and 24 ft high with an arch-ring of Caithness flagstones about 2 ft deep, paved invert, random rubble spandrels and approach retaining walls in similar stone. The roadway is 18 ft wide.

Both [this and Greystones Bridge] were erected as part of the improvement of the Thurso road. The surveyor was H. Fulton and the contractor J. Traill Esq. and others. Great difficulty was experienced in letting a contract for this 20 mile length of road which, at the then large sum of £13 365, cost about 30% more than the estimate.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

People and Organisations