Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Fort

Country House (19th Century), Curling Pond (Period Unassigned), Estate (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Fort

Classification Country House (19th Century), Curling Pond (Period Unassigned), Estate (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Sandfurd; Sandford; St Fort House

Canmore ID 33117

Site Number NO42NW 14

NGR NO 41664 25781

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33117

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Forgan
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Treasured Places (21 February 2007)

St Fort house was designed in 1829 by William Burn and was built for Captain Robert Stewart, who had purchased the estate in about 1795 from the Nairnes of Sandfurd. Burn designed a large baronial mansion with every modern convenience. Unfortunately, it shared the fate of many grand country houses during the 1950s and 1960s and was demolished in 1953.

The grounds featured estate buildings and services typical of the time, including greenhouses, stables, staff cottages, gardens and a curling pond.

Information from RCAHMS (IF, SC) 21 February 2007

Archaeology Notes

The superiority of the lands of the estate of St Fort (anciently called 'Sandford') belonged to the Kinnairds of Naughton, but the oldest family adopting the designation' of Sandfurd' was that of Nairne, who held a part of the estate in the middle of the 15th century. The name of Alexander Nairne of Sandfurd appears in charters dated 1445-52, at which time he was Keeper of the Rolls. In 1499 David Nairne signed a charter" at Sandfurd", thus implying that he resided in a mansion on the estate. Alexander Nairne of Sandfurd was Sheriff depute of Fife in 1531-42 and the estate remained in possession of the Nairnes till 1720." It was acquired by Captain Robert Stewart about 1795: he demolished the old mansion and built the present house.

A H Millar 1895

No further information found. The present mansion house of St Fort is now a roofless ruin.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 June 1963

St Fort House, Wm Burn, 1829, Jacobean, is now completely razed.

HBD 1969

Architecture Notes

Demolished in 1953

ARCHITECT: William Burn, 1829.

See also - NO42NW 14.01 41566 25938 Dovecot

Activities

Design (9 May 1829)

Photographic Survey (1953)

Field Visit (3 July 1963)

No further information found. The present mansion house of St Fort is now a roofless ruin.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 June 1963

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions